Monday, November 29, 2010

Eats, Drinks and Leaves


C'mon, it was a long Holiday weekend spent with family and friends and you know we overindulged. Whether your poison be beer, sweets or stuffing, you know how you felt the next day, ugh.

But, Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite Holidays. It's not about presents and, dare say it, we are not killing ourselves to go to a certain Mass. It is purely the opportunity to sit around the table with family and friends and have a meal. To share and think about what we have to be truly thankful for, because we have so much.

Oddly though, we were dropping my husband off to go away from home, not return as must people were doing at Philadelphia International on Sunday night. As I dropped him off , I saw all the travelers saying good bye to their own Thanksgiving visitors. The waves, the embraces and farewells to me were touching. I am not quite sure what it is about the excitement of an airport. People coming and going, it happens all the time, why did this particular scene seem so special? First there was the young couple with a baby, being dropped off at the airport by someone who looked like it could have been a brother. The parents were taking their luggage out of the back and the brother, needed to move the car, to actually pull in front of me. I glanced over at him, the baby was on his lap, I waved, she waved little hands back showing me her two teeth with her grin. Her hands were on the wheel and navigating the car with Uncle "Dude this is so illegal" Brother into a spot. I cackled, it was funny, you know she drives better than my mother in law.

Next I saw older parents, dropping off their son who was perhaps in business school in Chicago. Let's say it was the University of Chicago, yes, great school. Perhaps he lives on the North side if Chicago in Lincoln Park. The father gave him an extra big hug, because he was so damn proud of the chap and loves visiting. Who wouldn't love seeing the Phils at Wrigley, right? You could also see more young families with two car seats, a double stroller and 2 gigantic bags that would indicate they either had a lots of things for their twin toddlers or they were hauling the remains of their family back to Minnesota. Because, you know, too much family time can drive you crazy.

Then traffic started to move again and I snapped out of my reverie. I made my way to the exit of the airport, sad to see my husband go. With all that was going on it was so ironic, don't you think?


1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Heather! I love people watching at the airport myself...wondering where people are going or coming from...

    ReplyDelete

Categories