Thursday, October 14, 2010

Oh those shoes!

Kind of funny that the phrase could be stated in so many was. My friend Heather loved these, as I do. But my grandmother, not so much. You see I LOVE how comfortable they are, that they can work with jeans and that they have that look of a maryjane. Must be the Catholic School Girl in me. My grandmother just sniffed and twisted up her face in disgust.

You see my grandmother could be classified as a style snob. At 89. She still dyes her hair dark brown, paints her nails and is always all gussied up. Full face of makeup at all times, even to just watch the Price is Right. She is so vain about her appearance and keeping up with it that a cousin of mine, Frank, called to visit and she told him no. He asked why, she said, "well, I am dying my hair today dear".

Oh, so back to her and the shoes. Yes I do like to have some style, but comfort is a nice thing too. I like my sneakers, the cool ones, I don't spend my life in my Adidas all day. I have ones from all different vendors that don't look so much like sneakers, but as a friend put it, they make me look European. My grandmother hates each pair, wrinkles her nose and always calls them "ugly". I swear she misses the days I was more in the corporate life with my killer high heels and pointy shoes. Her joke with them was , "the better the kick people in the shins with". I guess she liked the fact that I got glammed up everyday to tackle the world. What she doesn't realize is that I am doing it in my own way. With my insane little boy and shooting my black pants off at Weddings. Which, by the way is the color she hates me in....but that part of my closet is another story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Categories